Sunday, November 26, 2006

Adult Forum @ 9:30 a.m.
Sacred Dance & Worship
In preparation for an afternoon workshop on this topic, we'll be led in an exploration of sacred dance in worship.
Discussion Leader
: Angela Yarber

Worship @ 10:30 a.m.
Reign of Christ Sunday
Scriptures: John 18:33-37 and Revelation 1:4b-8. Also see 2 Samuel 23:1-7 and Psalm 132:1-12
Prayer for the Weekend: Holy God, Alpha and Omega, we give thanks that you encircle time with your presence and creation with your love. As you bring all things back to you, enfold our hope and our life in your grace. Amen.
Preaching: Greg Ledbetter; Worship Leader: Doug Davidson; Head Usher: Stu Harris; Choir: Thanks We Sing

Words for Meditation

The Almighty One
who is, and who was, and who is to come –
encircles us in hope before and beyond all time.

Thanks be to God!

What enduring hope do you celebrate?
What enduring truth shapes your daily living?
How does our faith community express its hope in God’s eternal truth?

Psalm 132: 1-5; 11-12

O Lord, remember in David’s favor

all the hardships he endured;

how he swore to the Lord

and vowed to the Mighty One of Jacob,

“I will not enter my house or get into my bed;
I will not give sleep to my eyes or slumber to my eyelids,
until I find a place for the Lord,

a dwelling place for the Mighty One of Jacob.
The Lord swore to David a sure oath

from which he will not turn back:
“One of my sons of your body I will set on your throne.
If you sons keep my covenant and my decrees
that I shall teach them,
their sons also,
forevermore,

shall sit on your throne.”


The Feast of Christ the King was added to the calendar of the Roman Catholic Church in 1925 and, since 1970, has been observed by Christians in general on the last Sunday prior to Advent. Several churches refer to it as “Reign of Christ Sunday.” The lectionary readings provide an opportunity to explore what it means to live as members of God’s realm, and/or to explore the new images of kingship and leadership that Jesus modeled.

The church year comes to a close with this Sunday while next Sunday begins a new year and a new season. Although, in some ways, it’s just a continuation—for the Christ on whose reign we focus today is the same one whose coming we begin to anticipate again next week.



No comments: